Tag Archives: sonic illumniation

Wk 12 – Unfolding and Re-folding

I started the week by rehashing a couple of drawings I felt were weaker or needed improvement. I started by altering the site plan and ‘sound map’, making it a full perspective drawing. I also added some contextual information to the floor plans and improved the ECS/section perspectives with clearer roof and cavity information.

When that was done, I started work on the physical model. I wanted to go a little ‘outside’ with the model materials since I haven’t often done so in previous years. I decided to use burlap-crete, a really interesting material which Brittany and I explored during Design/Build, to represent land. It took a while to find a contrasting material for the water, but I eventually some scrap upholstery foam while wandering around Mac’s (where else?).

I patched the layer of foam together using spray-adhesive and bamboo skewers (again proving to be the cheapest and most useful things to keep around studio).  I then used some of Dan’s extra cork to create the basic topography before covering it with strips of concrete covered burlap.

The decided to use 1/16″ corrugated cardboard for the building model itself. I’d used it a few times in the past and knew it would work well for the folded plate structures. I ‘unfolded’ the building’s digital model and then used the laser cutter to score one side of the cardboard. Then I simply ‘re-folded’ the cardboard and glued it into its final shape. To finish the display, I took David’s advice and created a sound file which suggests different spatial qualities. I used stock sounds found online and added digital reverberation to suggest spatial progression.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wk 11 – Production Week

There was an enormous amount of work to do this week, moving toward finalized presentation boards. I began by working on renderings, two of which were underway last week and four of which were started this week. I then created a context map which includes a sound map based on information from November’s site visit. I also created some new graphics (coupled with some recycled ones) to help describe the theoretical elements of the project such as acoustic arenas and sonic illumination. After generating floor plans, I completed modeling of the space frame structure above the laboratories.

There was also some progress made in regards to the courtyard. Thanks to Ty and Lance for helping me to imagine it as a generator of sound. That information didn’t make it onto the boards, but it is sure to show up in the oral presentation.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
%d bloggers like this: