Tag Archives: process documentation

Wk 12 – Unfolding and Re-folding

I started the week by rehashing a couple of drawings I felt were weaker or needed improvement. I started by altering the site plan and ‘sound map’, making it a full perspective drawing. I also added some contextual information to the floor plans and improved the ECS/section perspectives with clearer roof and cavity information.

When that was done, I started work on the physical model. I wanted to go a little ‘outside’ with the model materials since I haven’t often done so in previous years. I decided to use burlap-crete, a really interesting material which Brittany and I explored during Design/Build, to represent land. It took a while to find a contrasting material for the water, but I eventually some scrap upholstery foam while wandering around Mac’s (where else?).

I patched the layer of foam together using spray-adhesive and bamboo skewers (again proving to be the cheapest and most useful things to keep around studio).  I then used some of Dan’s extra cork to create the basic topography before covering it with strips of concrete covered burlap.

The decided to use 1/16″ corrugated cardboard for the building model itself. I’d used it a few times in the past and knew it would work well for the folded plate structures. I ‘unfolded’ the building’s digital model and then used the laser cutter to score one side of the cardboard. Then I simply ‘re-folded’ the cardboard and glued it into its final shape. To finish the display, I took David’s advice and created a sound file which suggests different spatial qualities. I used stock sounds found online and added digital reverberation to suggest spatial progression.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

Boards

These are the boards which I submitted for grading. We now have a week to tweak the colors, print, mount, and hang them. We have the same amount of time to build a physical model. David has also asked me to consider producing a sound sampling – time to get familiar Audacity!

Tagged , , , ,

Wk 11 – Production Week

There was an enormous amount of work to do this week, moving toward finalized presentation boards. I began by working on renderings, two of which were underway last week and four of which were started this week. I then created a context map which includes a sound map based on information from November’s site visit. I also created some new graphics (coupled with some recycled ones) to help describe the theoretical elements of the project such as acoustic arenas and sonic illumination. After generating floor plans, I completed modeling of the space frame structure above the laboratories.

There was also some progress made in regards to the courtyard. Thanks to Ty and Lance for helping me to imagine it as a generator of sound. That information didn’t make it onto the boards, but it is sure to show up in the oral presentation.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wk 10 – Moving Forward

I finished work on the screens early in the week and starting looking more closely at several of the interior spaces. I’ve also picked several views and will work toward rendering them in the next week.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

Wk 9 – Change Orders

I realized early this week that I needed to rethink the function and appearance of the ‘nodes’ or ‘vignettes’. I decided to create a semi-transparent screening elements on the outside of these regions, which will ensure a strong, singular appearance no matter what the backing arrangement might be. This will allow for much greater flexibility (and transformability) of the interior spaces without compromising their powerful outward appearance.

I also installed the latest Maxwell plugin for SketchUp. It’s pretty easy to grasp and can create draft renders very, very quickly, making it ideal for material studies. I used the series below to compare corten and aluminum screens.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

Wk 7 – Midway

Time this week was spent on two different aspects: fleshing out the laboratory spaces and rethinking the circulatory ‘nodes’.

The three laboratory elements were placed in their final arrangement on the site. The pattern of ceiling coffering was changed  to a more agreeable scale and to allow for south- and west-facing double skin envelopes. The space above the coffers will contain a mechanical chase and structural support for the roof. In preparation for midterm reviews, I sorted the laboratories’ major construction elements. I also added depth to the surfaces which were previously drawn as simple planes.

There was also some very important progress made on the ‘nodes’ between the major program elements. Taking a cue from a sound tourism website, I’ve begun to imagine sonic spaces inspired by (but not replicating) noteworthy sound environments from around the world.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wk 5 – New Directions

I think there were some really good developments in the design this week. Most of my thought had been focused on the laboratory spaces, but by Wednesday I made an effort to tackle the office/workspaces. As David and I were discussing the value of ‘acoustical vignettes’, he sketched several intersecting spaces (à la Frank Ching). I added to the sketch and began a series of my own. This new organization is based off a single line (a path), with the intersecting spaces set apart to act as ‘sonic nodes’.

As I began translating the sketches into the computer, I took special notice of a fortune teller-shaped valentine which Morgan had given to me and was sitting on my desk. Despite being derived from a square, the paper had been folded in a way which simultaneously gave it strength and created a space. By altering the ‘folds’ I developed a shape with multiple curvatures (akin to a hyperbolic paraboloid) enabling a large, column-free space.

Goals moving forward are to flesh out a master site plan and to update the laboratory placement.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,
%d bloggers like this: